MOM Links
Article Source :

Why Choose to work in Singapore?
With a relatively small population of about 5 million, Singapore is a multicultural society
with local workforce of Chinese, Malay, Indian and other races.
Our government has set a common working language in Singapore with a comprehensive
workplace integration policy.  These have resulted with good unity and diversity of its workforce.
Many local companies and MNC here ensure fair working environments for
everyone that reward individuals, whether local or foreigner based on merit.

Levies and Quotas for Hiring Foreign Workers
The Foreign Worker Levy is a pricing mechanism to control the number of foreign
workers (including Foreign Domestic Workers) in Singapore. While they are not required
to pay CPF contributionsfor foreign workers, employers are liable to pay monthly levies
to hire employees who hold Work Permits or S Passes.


Type of Passes

1. For Professional
Employment Pass
The Employment Pass allows foreign professionals to work in Singapore.
It applies to foreigners who earn a fixed monthly salary of more than $3,300, and
have recognised qualifications. Employers must make applications for Employment
Passes on behalf of a job candidate.
Any change of employer will require a new application.

Personalised Employment Pass (PEP)
The Personalised Employment Pass (PEP) is for certain group of existing Employment
Pass holders and overseas foreign prefessionals. Unlike an Employment Pass, which
must be cancelled when the pass holder leaves the employer, the PEP is not tied
to the employer and is granted on the strength of the applicant's merit. A PEP holder
can remain in Singapore for up to six months between jobs to evaluate new employment

Foreign entrepreneurs who would like to start businesses in Singapore should
apply for the EntrePass. read more

Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate
The Employment Pass Eligibility Certificate (EPEC) allows foreigners to stay in
Singapore for up to one year to facilitate their job search in Singapore. It is not a
work pass and does not allow the holder to work.

2. For mid-level skilled workers
S Pass
The S Pass allows mid-level skilled foreigners who earn a fixed monthly salary of at
least $2,200 to work in Singapore. Employers must make S Pass applications on
behalf of a job candidate.
S Pass applications are assessed on multiple criteria including salary, education
qualification, skills, job type and work experience.

3. For skilled & semi-skilled workers
Work Permit
A Work Permit (WP) is generally issued to foreign unskilled workers with a monthly
basic salary of not more than $1,800.
The duration of a Work Permit is generally two years, subject to the validity of the
worker's passport, the Banker's/Insurance Guarantee, and the worker's employment
period, whichever is shorter.
The worker is only allowed to work for the employer and in the specified occupation.
Specific variants of Work Permits allow foreigners to work asdomestic helpers,
confinement nannies and performing artistes.

4. For foreigners' dependants
Dependant's Pass
Employment Pass holders and selected S Pass holders can apply for Dependant's
Passes for their spouse or unmarried/legally adopted children under 21 years of age.

Long Term Visit Pass
Employment Pass holders (P1, P2) can apply for Long-Term Visit Passesfor their
common-law spouse, unmarried daughters above 21 years of age, parents,
parents-in-law, step-children or handicapped children above 21 years of age.

5. Short Term Passses
Miscellaneous Work Pass
The Miscellaneous Work Pass is for foreigners working in Singapore on short-term
assignments that fall into certain specific activity categories.

Work Permit for Performing Artistes
This work pass is for foreign artistes performing at any Public Entertainment Licenced
bar, discotheque, lounge, night club, pub, hotel, private club or restaurant for a
maximum of six months.

For students & foreigners undergoing training
Foreign students in Singapore are not allowed to work during term time or vacation
time unless they are granted Work Pass exemption.
The Training Work Permit, the Training Employment Pass or the Work Holiday Programme
must be applied for foreign students who wish to take up any work.

Work Holiday Programme
The Work Holiday Programme (WHP) allows foreign university students and recent
graduates, between 17 to 30 years old, to come to Singapore to live and work for
up to six months.

Training Employment Pass
Foreigners undergoing practical training attachments for professional, managerial,
executive or specialist jobs in Singapore should apply for a Training Employment Pass.

Training Work Permit
The Training Work Permit allows unskilled or semi-skilled foreign trainees undergoing
practical training in Singapore to work for up to six months.

For Long Term Visit Pass holders
Long Term Visit Pass holders who wish to work in Singapore should apply for a Work
Pass - an Employment Pass, S Pass or Work Permit.
For Long Term Visit Pass holders accompanying their children studying in Singapore,
they are not be allowed to hold a work pass during their first year in Singapore. After
the first year, they will be allowed to hold a work pass, and be employed in Singapore.

Quota Calculator for Work Permit and S-Pass

Self Assessment Tool for Employment / S Pass

Copyright © NetworkAsia All Rights Reserved